Monday 6 July 2015

My Kinda Gardening...

After a busy weekend (when I say weekend I mean Sunday) in the garden, I'm late again with posting. Nonetheless we have major improvements going on around our existing patio and soon to be raised decking area - yay!

Craig is DONE with the house now the sun is shining so we're moving into the garden.

OKAY, SO I CLEARLY HAVENT HAD AN AWFUL LOT OF PHYSICAL INPUT IN THIS ONE, BUT THE IDEA WAS ALL MINE, I ASSURE YOU!

From our patio we lose the gorgeous view due to our conservatory being in the way, so I suggested we extend the patio area out over what is now garden (mainly a bush and plant area - don't tell my Mam I said that). This is hopefully going to create a lovely seating area from which the view can be really appreciated; this area gets the evening sun too which again the patio doesn't (it's not sounding a great patio here is it!) so I'm picturing an idyllic little fairy lit abode. 










Despite not getting my 'hammer on' with this one, I did however spend most of Sunday pulling out what I thought were weeds (mainly everything - again don't tell Sue!) and planting in some new bits that will create a 'cottage garden' feel come next year. This requires patience apparently, which I most certainly don't have when it comes to creating visual change.


Anyway, back on topic. I've been sprawling the internet for garden inspiration on this one and thought I'd share with you some garden ideas and tips. Keep reading for a few tips and head over to my growing pinterest board for images galore.

MAKING YOUR GARDEN FEEL LIKE PART OF YOUR HOME...

It's so easy to forget about 'designing' our gardens, especially over here in the great British weather, but like our gal AA says, your garden should be designed and accessorised just like any other room in your house in order to create an alluring and enjoyable space.

1. TAKE THE INSIDE OUT. Dress your space with soft furnishings; throw cushions on your chairs, seek outdoor rugs for your patios, hang mirrors next to planters and string enough lights between trees to give Blackpool a run for it's money.

2. ACCESSORISE IN THE SAME WAY. Remember the post on accessorising the home? Read it again, then apply it to your garden. Mix plants at varying heights, mix up planters in different shape and sizes, combine shapes and textures of plants and flowers and ADD LIGHTING. How can anything not look good when draped in fairy lights?!

3.  HIDE THE HORRORS. Use big wicker baskets or distressed wooden chests to hide away any garden tools or games if you don't have a shed or garage to keep them tidied away- let the focus be on your gorgeous things.

4. REFLECT WHO YOU ARE. So again this is exactly the same as your interior spaces. Make your garden personal. If you lean towards clean, crisp lines, continue this through your pathways and planters - just don't let this wind up looking boring and uptight. To avoid that remember to throw in the odd surprise element, something you won't expect to see. Or again use lighting and texture to soften it up. If you lean more towards natural, earthy designs go big on chunky wooden planters and accessorise with piles of logs in wooden crates. If like me, you can't make your bloody mind up about anything, throw in a bit of everything. Don't be scared to eclecticise (yep I just made up a word) your garden as well as your home. I'm thinking boho hammocks, rusty vintage wrought iron tables, a touch of Mediterranean terracotta and oodles of fairy lights.

5. COSY UP. Nothing beats a Summer evening watching the sun go down cosying up by a real log fire with a glass of vino in hand. How much do you love that winter ideal of snuggling by a coal fire with a glass of red? Well basically you want to create that same home comfort of a fire in the sitting room with a fire pit or chimenea outside. If your garden is one open space, use tall plants like bamboo to create 'walls' which will instantly zone your space making it more intriguing and cosy. Don't pouch everything to the four corners of your garden, bring your entertaining space central and build your garden around it, factoring in your needs and the space you have to play with.

I'm well up for this gardening lark now I've realised it's just like decorating! I'll keep you posted with our progress on the decking.

XOXO.


1 comment:

  1. I hope this one is safer than the one 50 cent put up at Wensleydale when he was 14!! Yelling Timber

    ReplyDelete