Sunday 26 April 2015

Bringing the outside in, the unthought of accessory...

Good morning! It looks like it's gonna' be another sunny one - horrah! Lets pick up where we left off, Fridays post was full of promises, so here I am attempting to fulfil those.

I hope my rant about accessories got you thinking. I must stress that these posts are a total combination of the things I am picking up along my journey. Mainly from other bloggers and designers. Of course there is no right or wrong, but I am finding them to be successful in my home, and definitely feel like my own style is evolving from the hints and tips I'm reading. If you have any other ideas or thoughts I'd love you to share them too.

Anyway...

So this mystery accessory, 'TELL ME TELL ME" I hear you cry. Well I must admit, a year ago I'd never have thought I'd have done this but since I have read about plants in the home, yes you heard me, PLANTS, I think I'm becoming addicted.
They are a nifty little trick that lots of stylists (those magic makers who throw together the gorgeoussss images we drool over in the glossies), and designers use within interiors. When I first read about using them, the thought ' I'll kill them' sprung to mind, and Craig just looked at me like he had married a girl born in the wrong era. But seriously, we were in IKEA of all places and I literally thought,
'I'll pick some up while they are cheap and try it, what's to loose?'

I HAVE NEVER LOOKED BACK.

I went for cacti as I'd read about their texture which again adds intrigue and I remembered from being a kid that they didn't need much looking after. I had also seen some cool pictures of cacti on Abigail Aherns pinterest. I did opt for the real thing, however, many of these stylists and designers I speak so highly of really do champion faux.

They seriously add something to a space that no other plastic, metal, glass, you name it can add. Its marvellous! And not just plants but flowers too! Although this is something I haven't actually gotten round to yet. I'm desperate for some faux flowers though but I want to get the rooms a little more finished before I invest in some good quality ones.

So have a look about, I guarantee once you've tried a few you'll catch on to this. Our go-to girl Abigail Ahern does some AMAZING fauxs, obviously! But I did find IKEA to be pretty good, and cheap too. If you shop about online there are plenty of places selling them, and your trusty home retailers like M & S, John Lewis, and Dunelm all sell them. Steer clear of anything unnatural looking and from what I've found I'd say greenery is a safe place to start.

This is really not my area of expertise so even though I'm happy to share with you my advice on going for it and how it's inspired me, I'm not going to claim I'm an expert flower arranger 'cos I'm not! So I'd say if you try it and think it's for you, have a read of this blog. You could even speak to your florist about how to arrange displays and ask if they can get hold of some good quality fauxs for you. I'm off to see Rebecca at my local as soon as I get around to it - it's another job on the list!

Enjoy the rest of the weekend, tonight I'll be sharing my pick of the best accessories for May/ July and a few tips on what to do with them in your home. I've popped up a few pics of the start of my collection, it is only very small at the minute but I'm planning on expanding :) I'm loving using them in bathrooms and you can't tell so much in the snap as it was a little dark this morning when I took it and we haven't finished with the lighting in there, but rather than fitting a blind I want to create a natural screen using lots of varying heights of plants.

XOXO.


















No comments:

Post a Comment